Cinnamon Rolls make me think of my momma. I thought I'd take advantage of being with my mom over the holidays and make cinnamon rolls with her. We decided to try a new recipe and it was a real keeper! The secret to my mom's icing is to add a little orange zest. I also added raisins to these and they were heavenly!
Mom's Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
- 1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- orange zest to taste
- Mix together warm milk and yeast in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook add flour, salt, sugar and stir to combine.
- Mix in eggs, margarine and yeast milk on low until a loose dough forms.
- Gradually increase speed to medium until dough begins to climb the hook. Add a little flour if it seems too sticky.
- When you have a dough ball, remove it from bowl, grease another large bowl, set the dough ball in & cover lightly in a warm place about 1 hour. (A good way to do this is to turn on the oven to 200 degrees and turn it off after it's heated up. Then place dough inside covered with a damp towel.)
- After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup melted butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Sprinkle with raisins. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly buttered 9x13 inch baking pan or 2 circular glass pie pans. Cover and let rise.
- If you are making these the evening before store in the refrigerator overnight. (Remove and let warm to room temperature 30 minutes before baking)
- If you want to cook these immediately cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in volume, about 45-60 minutes.
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and orange zest.
- Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving. Enjoy!